Friday, January 29, 2010

Integrating Language and Content

By Sandra Weatherup

Deborah Short's article discusses teaching content in English to LEP students. She mentions several methods for teaching LEP students in her article and discusses the importance of the integrated approach which "bridges the gap that often seperates the language and the content classrooms." (pg 1) Her article is specifically talking about middle and high school students. Short says that an integrated language and content approach focuses on three principal factors: 1) using multiple media 2) enhancement of the student's thinking skills and 3) student centered instructional organization. After reading her article I think there are many benefits to the integrated approach. Although I think almost all of the methods she suggests using would be helpful, there were a few I really liked.
One of the first techniques Short says to use is collaborating with your colleagues, which I think would be really beneficial to students. In order to help students adjust to the classroom she suggests announcing the lessons objectivies and simply writing legibly. I liked that she included writing legibly, because it is a simple technique that could make a big difference but I wouldn't have thought of on my own. Hands on activites and using objects in your lessons are two other tips that she provides. In order to meet students academic needs Short suggests teaching study skills, which would be useful to the student but I would never think of teaching. In order to check comprehension the author suggests setting up dialogue journals where the student writes and the teacher responds. I like the idea of this activity because it would provide the teacher with a better understanding of where the students are at and what they are learning.
Short ends the article with two sample lesson plans for different grade levels that integrates content with language learning. I found going over her lesson plans very useful because they are very detailed and I think they give a good example of a solid lesson plan. Reading through them helped me get a better idea of what a good lesson plan should look like.
Overall, I thought Short's article was very interesting and helpful. I was able to understand everything because it was written very straight forward and I think a lot of the information she gives is necessary if someone is going to teach ESL students in middle or high school. Although, I think some of her techniques and methods could apply to younger students as well.
For a task pick two or three of the suggestions the author gives for use in a content based class and tell why you think they would or would not be effective. Would you use them in your future classroom? Why? Why not?

4 comments:

  1. Short’s article provided various suggestions on how to improve upon educating ESL and LEP students. The suggestions she made seemed very simple, yet seem to be highly effective in creating better learning conditions for students.
    Short suggested developing and maintaining routines. I believe that having a set way of approaching assignments and instructions will help students get into the swing of things and remember to do their tasks on time. It would also facilitate class direction by decreasing the amount of time spent on giving a new set of instructions every day. I personally prefer to have a well-structured classroom so I would be inclined to use this in my class.
    In a multilevel classroom I always thought that it would be extremely difficult trying to teach according to the varying abilities of the students. Through cooperative learning, students can be socialized in their different learning styles. Through group work between two to five students, students have decreased anxiety and are able to practice with each other. Peer tutoring is also a process that is effective in multilevel classrooms. Through one on one instruction with a fellow student it allows students to express questions on the material in a comfortable setting. I would use both of these methods because I feel that practicing with other students in a non-threatening environment would be more comfortable for students who may not be as advanced in their abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short's suggestions were all very insightful and applicable to content-based classrooms. I would implement her suggestions into my own teaching practices. For now I will discuss her advice to "include discussion of student experiences," (p. 8)and to, "develop and maintain routines." (p. 4)
    I would use both of these approaches in my classroom. A common point brought up in many of my teacher education courses is that teachers should make the material and knowledge learned in their courses relatable to the lives of their students, as it can be a powerful source of motivation as well as a technique to help students remember key information. Based on this recurring point, I feel that relating course material to the lives and experiences of the students is an effective classroom teaching method, and I would use this technique as a result. I would also be sure to follow a daily routine for my teaching activities. As Short points out, students will be able to predict future classroom activities without necessarily needing to know the language being used (p. 4). I feel that this is an effective method, as students will be able to connect the meaning of spoken phrases to the commencement of various classroom activities. The only downfall that I can see with this tactic is that students may become bored with a daily routine over time, however, I would still use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One suggestion that Short gives is the present material in multiple forms, especially when “reteaching” information. I find this suggestion to be very useful because it would help learners who don’t absorb information as well in a certain form as others do. Furthermore, it would keep the class more interesting for students because information would not always be presented in the same format (visually, aurally, etc.)

    Another suggestion that Short gives is to show students how to have good study skills. Specifically, she lists outlines, time lines, flowcharts, mapping, graphs, and Venn Diagrams. I think this is a great suggestion because many students will struggle with content classes in English and these study skills helps the student organize the information so it is not so overwhelming for them.

    I would definitely keep these suggestions in mind in my ESL classroom because I believe they both are effective ways to help your students work on English as well as the content of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got back from an observation in a Montessori classroom. I was very impressed with the learner-centered individualized approach to teaching at this school. The teacher constantly was on top of 25 children clearly knowing where each student was, had been, and was headed in their development. I was tired just watching here, but a great example of dealing with a diverse student population. I highly recommend observing the Montessori Children's House of Lansing,

    ReplyDelete