Teaching Pronunciation By Janet Goodwin
Aubree Bixman
When working with ELL it is important that we keep in mind that a goal we must have for them is that they should be able to communicate with confidence and with ease. Goodwin explains that incorporating pronunciation along with pragmatic meaning and nonverbal communication can give students the tools they need to achieve these goals.
Goodwin explains four goals for students that teachers should strive to meet in the curriculum: functional intelligibility, functional communicability, increased self-confidence, and speech monitoring abilities. Intelligibility means that if an accent is present it is not distracting to the listener. I especially liked the term accent addition for students as to acknowledge their L1. Functional communicability includes learning to use pauses, pitch, movement and stress to effectively communicate in realistic social situations. Self-confidence is in terms speaking and being understood, thus teachers must provide students with real life situations and provide students with consistent feedback to increase this confidence. Finally, when students learn to pay close attention to their own speech and that of others they can imitate language.
Goodwin suggests that the English sound system has shifted from a bottom-up approach to top-down. This means that the sound system is addressed as it naturally occurs and that suprasegmental and segmental features can be looked at more thoroughly. It suggests that when speech is unclear it is necessary to take a closer look, thus moving from a macro to micro level. This approach recognizes that all sound features build off of each other. These features include:
· Thought Groups: pauses that divide our speech into manageable chunks called thought groups. Learners often understand the concept of pausing but pause at incorrect times, often pausing too often
· Prominence: a syllable that is emphasized within a thought group understood due to lengthening it and moving pitch up or down
· Intonation: the melodic line or pitch pattern that help to communicate attitude
· Rhythm: The alternating of stressed (longer) and unstressed (shorter) syllables. English uses stress-timed with stresses occurring at regular intervals.
· Reduced Speech: to achieve rhythm students must de-emphasize syllables while stressing others; de-emphasizing is more difficult to achieve
· Linking: The connection between words that occur in speech such as don’t you to sound like don-chew
· Consonants
· Vowels: syllable core in which the sound can be lengthened or shortened. Challenging because English has more vowels (14) than most other languages, which can be spelled in many different ways.
· Word Stress: the syllable within a word that receives the primary stress
Goodwin stresses that it is important for learners to be aware of all pronunciation features: thought groups, prominence, rhythm, reduced speech, and linking “work together to package our utterances in a way that can be processed easily by our listeners. So, rather than being more comprehensible by speaking each word separately, our learners actually become less fluent and less comprehensible.”
The framework for teaching pronunciation includes five steps
1) Description of Analysis: teacher presents feature and shows when and how it is used
2) Listening Discrimination: Use listening activities that include minimal pairs (word pairs that vary by one sound i.e. pan and pin or boat and vote) to identify the different pronunciation features
3) Controlled Practice: Activities almost entirely focused on form (poems, rhymes, dialogue, dramatic monologue)
4) Guided Practice: Focus shifts to meaning, grammar, communicative intent and pronunciation
5) Communicative Practice: Balance between form and meaning in which activities become more communicative.
Goodwin suggests several different techniques for teaching pronunciation. First is identifying the differences of minimal pairs. Second is using cartoons and drawings to analyze and create a discussion. Using rhymes, poetry, and jokes help to demonstrate the rhythm of speech and makes spelling and pronunciation easy and predictable. Drama not only helps with pronunciation, but with other aspects of communication including nonverbal communication.
Many tools are available to teachers to help with improving fluency. This includes cassette tapes, which students can play back and hear and video recording which students can hear and see their communication techniques.
While working towards achieving pronunciation it is important to assess students and provide them with ongoing feedback. The article suggests that students should have time to formulate an answer, but should only answer orally, which can be recorded for both teacher and student to use later to assess communicative ability. Feedback can be achieved in three forms, self-monitoring, peer feedback, and teacher feedback. Self-monitoring can be achieved through self-correction and self-analysis of recorded speech. Goodwin suggests that peer feedback may be more productive than just instructor feedback due to the fact that someone that is slightly more advanced may have more impact o a student. Teacher feedback should not be focused on every error that students make, but instead on errors that can cause breakdown of communication, errors that occur as a pattern, and errors that relate to the pronunciation we are teaching.
A stressed point that I found to be very important “it is the errors that students make that guide us toward what to teach.” Thus we must always be attune to our students, providing ongoing feedback and using that feedback to create student focused lessons that can help to improve pronunciation and communication skills and eliminate learner frustration.
Task:
Explain a time when you were interacting with an English Language Learner and had a hard time communicating with them or understanding what they were trying to communicate to you. How was it resolved? Were you frustrated? How do you think they felt? Explain a technique that could be used to help improve their pronunciation and communication skills.
I had an experience like this just last summer working as a Language Culture Partner for the English Learning Center at MSU. Every two weeks you are assigned to work with a new pair of Thai graduate students with varying English proficiencies, so I really had to adjust both my listening and my speech in order to suit each pair. The second group I had was a pair of girls, one with a very high proficiency and one with a very low proficiency. The girl with the high proficiency would often have to speak for the girl with low proficiency because she was easily frustrated trying to come up with what she wanted to say, even though her pronunciation was very good. One day, the girl who was very proficient was trying to explain to me that she was anemic, and she would say over and over again “the brud” instead “blood” because she was having an extremely tough time pronouncing the bl- blend. After about twenty times and searching for other words to try and explain herself I figured out that she was trying to say “blood.” I said it myself for her and she tried to mimic the sounds and mouth movement, but still had difficulty. It was a good experience for me because after that I was more attuned to what English sounds are difficult to make when Thai is your first language! With the next group, on of the girls had trouble saying “wasp”, dropping the –sp final consonant blend and I was able to figure out what she was trying to say much more quickly. I was not frustrated in either of these cases, but instead felt bad because in both cases I felt the girls were getting a little embarrassed that they couldn’t pronounce the word they were trying to say. Both of these cases happened in my first meetings with each group and as they became more comfortable around me over the weeks they were no longer embarrassed when they couldn’t immediately come up with what they were trying to say. They really started to self-correct automatically after a few recasts from me, but I would have to agree that peer correction, as it was in this case is probably the most effective because they know they’re not being graded and it’s casual practice through conversation. The girls also knew that I never minded saying things slowly for them so they could watch me pronounce words they found to be difficult. In this case, the pronunciation practice was really very casual, though they encouraged me to correct their grammar and mispronunciations if I heard them, but very effective as I noticed they were much more at ease speaking with me at the end of each two-week period. I would say this approach was most comparable to communicative practice according to Goodwin.
ReplyDeleteWhen I volunteered at the Refugee Center for my TE250 course, there were two twins who were from Spain, and barely spoke any English. However, both came in every week with english textbooks, and english homework assignments, and no idea how to translate what they were supposed to do. Luckily, my spanish skills kicked in, and I could somewhat communicate with them, however not always. I remember one specific time that they were doing math problems, and they just could not get the concept of adding and subtracting. They would talk amongst each other about adding and subtracting, but I hadn't picked up on what they were saying. Luckily, at the time I was enrolled in MTH201, and was learning at that time an easy way to teach math to kids is through a "Chip Model." Using A Chip Model, the kids become aware of how to perform the functions of mathematics, without even communicating in words. The children got embarrassed when I would ask them a question in clear Spanish about what they were learning, and they wouldn't have the slightest clue on how to answer it correctly. The picture itself of the chip model gives enough meaning to how to perform addition and subtraction. I was frustrated at first because I wanted so badly to have them understand the basics of math, but in a different language, it was a lot more difficult. After I explained the chip model to them, I could sense a feeling of relief approach them. Sometimes, it is not necessary to communicate to get a point across, even though this is probably the best tool. However, a visual representation of explaining what they need to learn can benefit the individual as well, and also make them feel comfortable in understanding the material without feeling stupid in not understanding it. A technique that could be used to help improve a child's pronunciation and communication skills is simply having them read aloud the directions of the exercise. The more practice they get speaking, the better their communication and pronunciation skills will be.
ReplyDeleteI also had an experience where I was working with an ELL student in the refugee center my freshman year. i was working with a middle-aged man helping him with a worksheet and he was trying to tell me what he had to do and what he already knew how to do but he couldn't come up with the correct words to explain it to me. He was getting really frustrated and I was trying to not show it but I was also becoming frstrated. I think that I should have tried to help him by trying to guess or look at the worksheet to try and help him, but I didn't really know what to do because I hadn't had basically any experience talking to someone who didn't speak English very well. I think that by him just continuing to try and communicate and speak, the better he will get at speaking English and portraying what he was trying to say. Even though it wasn't an ELL student, i have also dealt with this with my nephew because he was having trouble producing certain blends and sounds so when he'd try to tell me something and i couldn't understand him he would get so frustrated and would sometimes end up crying. So it's not in just ELL that have to go through this.
ReplyDeleteI was early for class one day and a student came in who had just joined the class. He is a foreign exchange student and wanted to know if he needed to buy any books for the class, how to get the homework, stuff like that. I started talking about using ANGEL; assuming that he had heard of it and knew what it was. He had kind of a blank look on his face and I could tell he had no idea what I was talking about. He started asking me questions about e-mail and was asking me some other questions that I couldn't understand. I felt really bad that I couldn't understand him so I just tried to show him what ANGEL was, hoping that after seeing it he would understand what I was trying to tell him. For some reason, he couldn't log into ANGEL, so it never really was resolved between the two of us. He thanked me for trying to help, but said he would ask one of friends if they could help him later. I was frustrated that I couldn't help him, but it wasn't my fault in the end because ANGEL wouldn't log him in, otherwise I would've been able to help him. It was accent that I couldn't get past, and I feel like as long as he continues to interact with native speakers and practice his speaking, then he will be able to communicate with other English speakers without them having any problem understanding him. I believe that listening to cassette tapes would be a good idea for this student and then comparing his accent with the way that native speakers talk. I understand that totally ridding oneself of an accent is not an easy thing to do, but in order for him to be better understood, that is what he needs to do. His grammar and everything else was fine, I just had a hard time getting past his accent.
ReplyDeleteLast year I was a host in the cafeteria and a student came up to me with a question. He was an international student, and no matter how hard I tried I could not understand what he was asking me! I got so flustered because I knew he was trying so hard to make himself known, but I just couldn't understand. I know he was embaressed too, and getting annoyed because he didn't know how else to say the word I couldn't understand. Eventually after several minutes of awkward laughter and frustration I gave him a pen and a piece of scrap paper. All he wants to know was where the bathroom was. I felt so terrible that it took all that work and he was just asking for a bathroom. Because the student was able to write the word perfectly, I can only assume his pronunciation was incorrect. This might simply be because he has an accent, which is difficult to get rid of. Practicing the sounds could potentially help. "Th" can be difficult for anyone who doesn't speak english. When problems like this arise it can be embaressing and frustrating for everyone involved, but unfortunately it is difficult to correct.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was working at the Red Cedar elementary School a little girl from Brazil was asking me a question. She was pointing at her homework and kept said something and I assumed she was asking me to explain it. However, I started going over the directions with her and she looked at me and said "No, no, no, no!" She asked the same question again and I looked at her blankly and said "what" she repeated what she had said still pointing at the paper. I could tell she was getting annoyed with me and just wanted me to answer her question already. I felt very embarrassed because here I was this college student suppose to be helping out in the class, when I could not help out at all. Finally, I calmly asked her to repeat her question very slowly, hoping my few years of Spanish would pay off. I heard correcto and a few other words. The I picked up her homework glanced over it and saw that she got the first problem wrong. She wanted to know why she got the problem wrong and what she had to do to fix it. So after I explained everything to her I could tell she was very relieved that I finally understood her and I felt glad that I was finally able to help her out.
ReplyDeleteIn my current 494 placement, the class was going through an individual activity where they were given a verb, in its infinitive form, and had to determine if in the past tense, the verb was regular or irregular. During the activity, some students would come up to me asking about a specific verb on the board and many of the times, I asked them to repeat what they were saying because I had difficulty understanding them. After about the third or fourth time of asking them to repeat, a few of the students would describe where on the board the verb was, saying, “the third one down” or the one after X”. Some of the time when that technique did not work, a few times they would give up on saying the verb to me and would write it on their paper, and it was then that I was able to understand them.
ReplyDeleteIn this situation, I personally felt extremely frustrated with myself and empathic towards the students. I have been that student in the past when I studied abroad and often times I would say something in the L2, sure that I was pronouncing it correctly and would not be understood. When I would be asked to repeat what I said, I would feel self-conscious, doubting myself that I was saying the right word or was pronouncing it correctly and the more times I needed to repeat it, the more I became embarrassed. This combination of feelings is unsettling and I’m sure the students that day in class felt the same way with me as I have in the past.
One thing I have heard in the past is that every culture varies on their communication preferences, especially during communication breakdowns. From personal experiences and readings, I have seen Latino cultures prefer to orally communicate and portray ideas when problems arise. On the other hand, American culture however prefers to have things written down to oral repetition. Although both techniques are excellent to use when during a communication breakdown, I think that it is more valuable for learners overall to have strong command on their oral communication skills. By extensively repeating and explaining a concept verbally, learners are able to gain a stronger sense in communication in a more natural sense. If one uses circumlocution to portray a meaning, the flow of communication remains stable and the speaker is able to use the language in a more applicable way. Although this technique is not always applicable to every situation, circumlocution and the ability to talk one’s way around a topic is useful in second language learning and helps learners to improve their communication skills.
I recently started voluunteering at the Refugee Development Center (RDC) in Lansing for my service learning in a TE class. On my first day, I was asked to take attendance because the teacher was busy making copies. That was my first challenge with communicating with the English Learners in my basic class. In the class, most of the students have little to no English. To take attendance, I simply went around and asked for their names. I was given confused looks and replies in languages that I did not understand in the least. It was slightly frustrating, but I felt more confused and lost. I imagine they felt similarly to how I felt, because they did not understand what I was asking and I did not understand what they were telling me in return. The task of attendance was finally almost completed with the help of a student from Burma who had some English and could translate for the other students from Burma. Although, I did not get all of the names, he helped me to get about half of them. There is not a technique I can think of for this particular situation, but in class it is also difficult to communicate and help them with their lessons. To help with that, visual representations of the words help give meaning to the words we are teaching to them. We also practice with them a lot and have them repeat the words over and over in order to master the pronunciation.
ReplyDeleteDuring my freshman year, I had a TA that couldn't speak English very cleary. As he was teaching Calculus, this posed a difficult learning environment. During the first few weeks, the entire class had a difficult time understanding a few key words, such as "formula" and "integral". Over time, the class adjusted to his speech, learning the different pronunciations and finally was able to communicate with him and ask questions. However, those first few weeks were very difficult and frustrating. As a teacher, I'm sure he was just as frustrated as we were, as he was not able to get his ideas across. He was a very intelligent person, and knew exactly what we needed to learn, however the language difference became a serious barrier to learning. It was only overcome by continual practice and listening, and patience on both ends of the conversation. Since that class, I have had numerous other ELL teachers, and each one has become easier to understand then the last. After struggling through a few difficult experiences, I have become accostomed to different speech styles, and have learned to listen for specific sounds in words. A technique that would be helpful for this particular TA would be to repeat the words he had trouble pronouncing, or the sounds he had a difficult time saying. Having long conversations with native English speakers would also be beneficial, as the native speaker would be able to notice the words he was mispronouncing and correct him, allowing him the chance to see how it is supposed to be said, and then practicing it himself.
ReplyDeleteI work at CVS, so everyday for me is an interaction with several English Language Learners when I’m up on register. Overall I find that most of the foreigners that I interact with do an excellent job of communicating- they speak slowly and enunciate, and use physical gestures if necessary, and I do my best to do the same for them. However, every once in awhile someone will come in who does none of these things and what should be a 27 second transaction becomes a 10 minute one; one such customer I literally will never forget happened about six months ago- she was a very handsome Arabic woman who had completed a transaction with another employee and I assume was dissatisfied. She came back into my store and started yelling and screaming in Arabic, occasionally shouting the word “coupon!” I tried my best to help her out and understand what the problem was, but she was so angry that she wouldn’t slow down or calm down enough for me to help her. Eventually she became so infuriated over whatever the problem was that she simply left. During and after the incident I was extremely frustrated, and I would assume that based on her actions she was as well. With this particular woman I am not sure of a technique that could help her- I think that practicing her English speaking and listening for at least basic words would be helpful so that the next time she is in a store she will be more able to stay calm and get her point across better.
ReplyDeleteThis semester I started tutoring two children in English and reading comprehension. One is a fourth grader and she knows how to speak both English and Korean fluently. The other child is in kindergarten and can speak both languages but is in the process of learning how to read and write both. They can both speak English very well, but the parents hired me so that I could help them improve on their reading and writing skills. For the fourth grader, conversation is easy and flows well but when it comes to reading she is not as confident and tends to struggle with pronouncing words. When she doesn’t know how to say a word she attempts to skip the whole sentence or she makes up a word that starts with the same letter. While she is young and is in the process of getting help for her English and reading comprehension, the bigger challenge for me is communicating with her mother. It is a struggle to even a hold a standard conversation, such as a greeting. I was offered the job via email and without even meeting the family I knew that they were not English speakers, just by reading the email because they wrote how they speak. When meeting the mother she could barely hold a conversation and I tried to understand and repeat what I thought she was saying, but not wanting to waste time she laughed it off and just called her daughter over to tell me what she was trying to say. After her daughter translated for me I tried to talk slowly (because I normally talk extremely fast) and clearly so that the mother could understand me. She didn’t understand the terminology I was using even in the simplest forms. It was frustrating for me because the only other person there to translate was a fourth grader who after the first day or tutoring made it clear that she was a little sneaky. So instead of trusting her to tell her mother exactly what I wanted to tell her, I started writing notes so that she could see what I was trying to say. Instead of talking a lot in person we now converse via email. I’m sure it is frustrating for the mom as much as it is to me but instead of showing her frustration she just laughs her mistakes off. For talking to the mom I found it was easiest to show what I was trying to say instead of speaking. While working with the little girl I found that having her read aloud and explain what she is reading has been the most beneficial.
ReplyDeleteIn my LLT 361 class, we had an assignment that had us talk to different ELL's that came into our class. I was able to talk to three different people and experienced many different challenges. Before I even started talking to the student, I wanted to make sure I slowed down my speech and pay attention to everything they were saying. The first girl I talked to had no problem speaking English. She hardly had an accent. But I still had to slow down my speech because she had a hard time understanding me. The second guy I talked to had a strong accent and was hard to understand. He would say certain words that I had to ask over and over again what he was trying to say. Finally he took out a piece of paper and started drawing pictures. I finally understood what he was trying to say when he drew his picture. With the third person I talked to, he didn't have a wide range of vocabulary so I remember guessing to see what he was trying to say. When he couldn't think of word to say, he would try and describe it and I would guess the word. I got a little frustrated when I didn't know what they were trying to say but I never showed it. I just really wanted to understand what they were trying to say. I don't want to make the ELL feel uncomfortable because I didn't know what they were saying. I think providing feedback and correcting is a good way to improve the ELL's speaking skills. I know as a language learner myself, any feedback helps with my pronunciation and communication skills.
ReplyDeleteThere was a time that I was tutoring a native Korean adult speaker in English. We were working on his writing skills (he would write mini-essays, and I would look over them and we would talk about it).
ReplyDeleteI could tell that it made him a little bit frustrated, but I knew that he was willing to work on it, as I was definitely willing to work on it.
We often had trouble communicating, but we’d practiced some of his pronunciation and it was getting better. The best way we could communicate, however, was using other examples that we knew how to communicate (with simpler words). Analogies and hand gestures were the two ways we found that we could express slightly more complicated ideas. I think being creative is definitely important to work on expressing ideas. If you’re trying something and it doesn’t work, even if you work on it more or try to improve that idea, the learner may be frustrated if you just keep doing the same thing. I think it’s important to change up your methods, at least to keep the learner interested and open-minded.
I actually very recently have been observing a lot of work with ELs on pronunciation in my TE 494 placement: a pull-out program (K-2) at a local East Lansing elementary school. The first example that really stood out to me was with a group of second grade boys, each of which are from a completely different L1 (German, Malaysian, Korean) and therefore have very different difficulties when it comes to pronunciation in English. In this example, the boys were doing a worksheet with riddles practicing the long and short “o” sounds. While they read each riddle aloud, each demonstrated a different difficulty with the word “thin” – specifically the “th” initial consonant blend. The boy from Korea pronounced “thin” as “tin” or “sin,” the boy from Germany pronounced “thin” as “fin,” and the Malaysian boy pronounced “thin” as “th-fin”. After noticing the inconsistencies and struggle with this “th” blend, my CT asked each of the boys to watch her mouth as she pronounced the word (teacher-feedback) and then asked each boy to practice “moving their mouths in the same way to make the sound.” Although most still made mistakes, they were now cognizant of their mispronunciations and worked through the riddles more slowly attempting to self-monitor and practice this new skill.
ReplyDeleteA second example of pronunciation practice occurred with a second grade Japanese girl in this same placement. Recently, she has been working on middle/ending vowel sounds – more specifically their long and short sounds. The worksheets are set up as follows: they isolate the vowel and say whether it is long or short (she must say it aloud to determine this), then they provide a work bank with words that demonstrate the long /short vowel. After that, there are a list of riddles that require one of the word bank words to answer them and then she must draw a line matching the correct phrase to its corresponding picture. The approach to this pronunciation practice seems to correspond nicely to the framework laid out in the Goodwin article – especially the first three: 1) Description of Analysis (how and when the feature is used, 2) Listening discrimination (showing the different between the feature in a word and a different word – only changing that one feature “pin” and “pan”) and 3) Controlled practice (like the riddles on the worksheets). Also, I think it is important to note that this student has greatly improved her pronunciation and further fluency in terms of word stresses and intonation in reading. My CT has worked with her excessively on this topic using techniques like having the student read her riddle aloud when she has completed it and then my CT reads it back aloud with the proper intonation so that the student can hear how it is correctly read.
This year I became friends with a guy who is here as an intern all the way from Israel. Like most Israelis, he has a very heavy Hebrew accent, but his English is very proficient. He has an enormous vocabulary (as big as mine), but more importantly is able to properly and eloquently form proper sentences. His grammar is good as well. When conversing in person I usually have no problem understanding him.
ReplyDeleteAs we have learned, there are tools that help us better understand each other. For instance with my friend, I am able to see his expressions and body gestures when he is speaking. If I do not understand what he is saying (which does not happen often), I am able to formulate an understanding based on those clues. I am also able to read his lips when conversing face to face, which helps me as a listener. As with anyone, not even necessarily an ELL, if I don’t understand a word or two he is saying, I am able to figure it out via the context.
When speaking on the phone, it is a totally different situation. I hardly ever understand him because I don’t have the discussed clues and tools to figure it out. Even when he repeats himself, it doesn’t help because his accent is so thick that it hinders his pronunciation of the words.
I find this extremely frustrating especially because it is not a classroom situation, but a social one. If I can’t understand him, I can’t ask him to keep repeating, or suggest tools he can use to improve, as this might offend or embarrass him.
It is also worth noting that I have an advantage over the next person in terms of understanding him. First off, my step-dad is Israeli, so I am used to having an open ear when conversing with foreigners. I’m accustomed to his pronunciation and common errors. Secondly, I myself am a speaker of the Hebrew language. I am shy about conversing with it, because my Hebrew skills are nowhere close to my friends’ English skills. But, it is useful for when I really cannot make sense of what is being said, as they can explain it in Hebrew and I am able conjure a basic understanding. I have learned to develop more patience, as I have come to realize that this is not as easy as one would think. I have learned to respect the way he speaks, as I could not do any better in his shoes.
In regards to respect, I think it is important to always remember when speaking with an ELL. As many of us know, it is a difficult and long process to learn a new language. In our society we assume that everyone should adapt to us, to make our lives easier. However, I have always had the notion that it’s not necessarily “them” who should speak better, but “us” who should listen more carefully.
When I used to volunteer at the RDC there were many times that I had trouble both understanding what the students were saying, and that they had trouble understanding what I was trying to teach them. It was very very frustrating. I felt like it was partially on my shoulders if they finished their homework/succeeded in school, and I was incapable of helping them understand the content. I'm sure they were frustrated too, after hours of being talked at in a language they didn't fully understand trying to hold a stressful conversation with me. In the end I worked it out by writing out what I was saying, and having students write out what they were saying. With my understanding now I should've pronounced my words more carefully, and planned ways that I could've helped this with pronunciation as well as the vocabulary I was required to help them with.
ReplyDeleteLast summer, I was rear-ended on the way to work. When I got out of the car to talk to the man who hit my car, it was evident that he was a English Language Learner. Needless to say, it was difficult to communicate the needs for insurance information, etc. In addition to having to deal with the minor accident, I was very frustrated that we could not communicate about the accident. If I was that frustrated, I'm sure he was, too! However, we were able to resolve the issue. I showed him my insurance information, and then asked him for his (to provide a visual clue with the verbal).
ReplyDeleteBecause this was not a person I saw regularly, I am not sure about his exact status as a language learner. However, because he did struggle in this ordinary, everyday situation, it seems to me that he would benefit from more practice in real-life language scenerios. This would help him increase his language self-confidence.
I loved all of your examples. Made me laugh on this nice spring day.
ReplyDelete