Thursday, March 18, 2010

Edigar Part 1 of 2: Teaching Children Literacy Skills in Another Language

As we are al aiming to become enlightened mentors it is crucial that we face the misconceptions, strategies and areas that are often overlooked when working with an ELL student. Edigar’s piece points out multiple components of the English language learning system that should all be considered when teaching.
The Six General Components Skills are as follows:
1.Automatic recognition skill 2.) Vocabulary and structural knowledge 3.) Formal discourse structural knowledge 4.) Content/world background knowledge 5.) Synthesis and evaluation skills/strategies and 6.) Metacognitive knowledge and skills monitoring
These skills assist in allowing both students and teachers to have a positive learning experience when considered. Edigar points out that these skills help a child to enhance his/her reading and ultimately ends up developing more comprehension components within the child’s reading skills. Some skills such as making predictions, confirming and rejecting predictions, rereading for better understanding, and calling upon strategies when something does not make sense are often derived from these components. So in terms of the educator it is his/her job to confirm that there is a reliable and effective reading program in play in his/her classroom. Edigar points out that without an effective, reliable foundation within the classroom there is less hope for successful readers. In my opinion, Edigar seems to stress the idea of creating habits to enhance literacy (i.e. rereading, looking up unknown words, etc).
Before these components are approached by a teacher and student one must consider multiple elements, assumptions and aspects that are often overlooked when beginning to teach and ELL student. First of, it is important to note that there are both similarities and differences within each L1. In my opinion it is important that we try to recognize the similarities to probe off of, but more importantly point out the differences to allow the students to see that differences are present and create a system within their memory on how to compare the two types of literacy. Another vital aspect Edigar points out is that many of us often overlook the difference between academic and social language. Social language is often learned first and should not create any assumptions on where the child should be within their academic oral and written skills. However, we must consider the thought that language also develops through readings, so having a book with some unknown words may be appropriate. Lastly, as teachers we must pick appropriate reading materials that appeal to the age level. Edigar states that a common error is this area is when teachers pick too childish of a book for an older, lower level reader.

1.) Pictures go with texts 2.) Read from left to right 3.) Words separate from one another 4.)Punctuations have separate meanings 5.) Written language has different rules than oral language.

*By taking these into consideration before we begin teaching the components listed above our students will develop a greater foundation for English literacy.
Task Questions: 1.) In your personal opinion, would focusing on oral or written language first be easier to develop the other (for example, teaching oral language should be focused on first to develop written language). 2.) Of the six components listed above, which is the most crucial in literacy development, and why? 3.) In field experience within MSU courses have you seen (at least one of) the common assumption listed play a role in your teaching and/or a students literacy misconceptions?

3 comments:

  1. I think that focusing on oral language first would be the easier approach because as humans we are pre-wired for speech, whereas writing is a secondary skill. However, I do not think that one skill should be taught over the other but they should be intertwined as a whole component. Once a student has the ability to say a letter, for example "a" then I believe they should be able to trace that letter and know the contour of the letter. Once students are old enough to hold a pencil on their own then writing should be an integral part with teaching both oral and written language.

    Of the six components, I believe that number 4 is the most vital, content/world background knowledge. I think that this is the most important because once a teacher knows the origin in which their students come to them, then they are able to present the most appropriate level of information tailored to his/her students. I also believe this is applicable to the students' knowing where their teachers come from in order to form the best academic relationship possible. Once this is knowledge is established then teachers and students can learn together in a comfortable environment. An example of this is in on of the DVD segments where the teacher mentioned something to this effect, "you know how Ms. Smith is without her coffee" while teaching an adult sheltered instruction course.

    I have noticed at least one of the common assumptions in a field experience through MSU, however I have not taught in a formal setting to notice the effect of students' literacy.

    I really enjoyed this blog post, simple, straight-forward and the connection to MSU!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda Prince

    I feel that focusing on written language first would make developing oral language easier than the other way around because it is easier for a learner to read a word or sentence over as many times as they need to until they understand it, but words and sentences are not always repeated as many times when being spoken. Language learners are able to work more at their own pace when reading. Furthermore, many learners, like myself, are visual learners and benefit from being able to see a word and remember what it looked like on paper when speaking. I understand that many learners are aural learners and may benefit from hearing and speaking a language first, but I still believe that the majority would benefit from written language first.

    Of the six components, I believe that (#2) Vocabulary and structural knowledge is the most crucial for literacy development. I feel this way because unless a learner knows vocabulary and the basics of grammar structure of a language, oh will they ever understand the content of a text? I believe that all the other components, such as Content/world background knowledge and Synthesis and evaluation skills/strategies are secondary to Vocabulary and structural knowledge because those components can only come after a reader understands the words and grammar structure and therefore basic content.

    I actually have not seen any of the common assumptions listed in my teaching. I think this is because when I had been in an ESL classroom, all of the students had already been with the teacher for several months. I feel that if I had been able to be in the classroom for the first couple of weeks I would have made a lot of those assumptions and seen quickly how I need to remember to not make them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that it would be easier to teach spoken language at first, but it would be important to quickly teach the equivalent written language. This would help the students record their knowledge in an accessible way, so that they could take notes on their language learning. Also, if the students can understand the basics of written language, it will be easier to show them the distinctions between different words. It would also be easier for them to learn independently. For instance, if they hear a word they do not recognize, they can look it up in the dictionary. This would be impossible if they did not know any written language.

    I think that vocabulary and structural knowledge would be the most important part of literacy development. If the student cannot understand the words or structures, it is next to impossible for them to read at all. Even if they have a large vocabulary, they need the structural knowledge as a framework, or they will not be able to understand how a word is being used.

    In my field experience, I have seen students who have trouble with punctuation marks. For instance, several of them thought that periods indicated where a pause would be if the writing was read out loud.

    Elena Dunckel
    Section 002

    ReplyDelete