Monday, March 15, 2010

SIOP Review (for Gabrielle Giles)

The SIOP?s eighth step, review and assessment, is a huge contributing factor. Affective teachers use assessment findings to plan their lessons according to the students? needs and strengths. They evaluate how effectively their lessons have been delivered, and take the items that were most complicated and confusing for the students and review it. I think it?s a terrific idea. Reviewing and rehearsing is the best way to study, learn, and understand the ideas. The teachers give the students the information first, and the students become familiar with the idea. I believe it?s easier the second time they are introduced to the topic during review and assessment because the students are already aware of the concept, and will be able to learn more in depth and apply the concept. The review and assessment step is a huge component because it slows down the material for students who have become frustrated and uneasy to the new concept. You can eliminate frustrated students because this eighth SIOP step allows you to gradually ease your students into a complicated concept by having more than one lesson on it.

Review and Assessment gives the teacher the power to see if the students learned what was intended by reviewing as the lesson concludes. Review and Assessment is also vital because English learners need review. It is essential that they review their input, as well as their output. Reviewing with the English learners helps them to realize what was most important in the lesson and to become more familiar with the new English concepts.

There are many ways you can review and assess at the end of your lesson. After you teach your lesson, teachers are able to assess student comprehension by reviewing the student?s worksheets/work/etc. Then the teacher can review with the students the vocabulary and key concepts, followed by adjustments and corrections in the students work. After you have completed that, you can simply reteach the lesson.

Having students practice after the lesson is vital to their language learning. After exposing new terminology, a teacher can help them build familiarity, confidence, and English proficiency by having them speak and practice in groups. That way they are able to speak and share their ideas. Games such as Pictionary are a good way to help students review and practice words in nonprint ways.

For the task, you have two options.

OPTION 1: Think about the 8th step in the SIOP model, Review and Assessment. State whether you agree or disagree with its effectiveness. Then support your answer by giving an example of your own experience with this review and assessment concept. It can be an experience from a second language class, or even a class in English, where you learned a new concept.

OPTION 2: Evaluate one of the teaching scenarios. State if you believe they applied the Review and Assessment concept correctly, and whether you would use this strategy in the future.

8 comments:

  1. I believe that the Review and Assessment part of the SIOP Model is very effective and can should be implemented into all classrooms. I think that students can benefit a lot from this model, especially ones who are struggling to comprehend and retain the key concepts. Students sometimes need to slow down, take an extra second to look at what they are learning, see how much they actually know, and then have the lesson taught/re-taught to them. It's important to respect the slower students and review these key concepts. Comprehensive Review of Key Content Concepts definitely draws back memories from grade school. It helped me when i was younger to be assessed after the lesson and then go over the information later. My teacher would teach the lesson, enforcing the key content concepts and then give us similar questions to this model such as: I wonder, I discovered, I still want to know, I learned, etc. and then we would grade them as a class together. She would then focus on the key points we missed and go back and reteach the lesson. It was very beneficial as a student to slow down, take a look at what i didn't understand and then have it re-taught to me. I've seen this done in grades as young as 4th graders and appreciate this technique and believe it will help students, especially the slower ones, succeed in their schooling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the Review and Assessment model is very effective. I think that it is important to have an effective method of assessment as teachers. Ultimately, assessment evaluates the student and the teacher. Students are able to evaluate their own performance and teachers are able to do so as well. In high school, we often used exams to improve our performance. We were able to do this because after exams, our teacher would go over materials that most students needed help with. We also personally went over material that we struggled with because often times, the material was connected to another concept. In cases where we all needed review on a concept, we were re-tested on that material later to ensure that we learned what we missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that review and assessment step in the SIOP Model can be very effective if it is implemented correctly. If teachers can use it effectively that I think it is very important for them to use is it in their classrooms. The reviewing of key vocabulary and concepts allow for students to be reminded of what they need to be focusing on. This is especially helpful when students are being bombarded with an abundance of new information. It can be very hard to retain everything you learn in a classroom, especially when the instruction is in a foreign language. It is important for students to know what to focus on and what they should take away from the lesson. Feedback is also very important because it allows for students to correct misconceptions and misunderstandings. Feedback can also allow for communication with a native speaker which can also help students with their L2.

    Assessment is crucial in classrooms because it allows for an evaluation of the students understanding of the lesson. When teacher realize that students are not catching on as fast as they would have hoped it tells them that they need to go back over the concepts that students aren't getting in a way that will make more sense to the students. Assessment also allows for more feedback where it is needed. Self-assessments are also very helpful to the teachers because they tell the teachers what exactly the students are having problems with. The teachers can then reflect on what their students are having problems with and figure out a different way to teach that certain concept.

    Half way through one of my semesters in high school, I had a teacher hand out an evaluation for us students to fill out of the way the classroom was run (kind of like the one we did in our own class over Spring Break). My teacher wanted to know what was working for us and what wasn't. He also wanted use to answer a few short questions stating what we had learned so far. He would then look over our evaluations and if something wasn't working then he was going to brainstorm ways to make the classroom and learning more affective. There was one question that most of the class got wrong, so after the short break he decided to spend another week on the subject the that classroom wasn't grasping (don't remember the exact topic, but it was something in my Biology class). I thought it was very affective and considerate that he chose to spend another week on it instead of just pushing forward and leaving the whole class confused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, review and assessment are vital parts to effective teaching and learning. It is not enough for a teacher to simply present new material and then move on, assuming students understood. Often, it takes multiple (more than 5, if I remember correctly) exposures to new words and concepts before the student fully understands them. Keeping this in mind, it’s essential that teachers incorporate prior learning into new lessons so as to review the concepts and reiterate important information before giving a test. Once the information has been adequately discussed and reviewed, assessment needs to be presented in varied ways, so as to evaluate all four skills.
    I remember a Spanish class I took in eighth grade with a teacher who was excellent at incorporating review into her daily lesson plans. She would put vocabulary words to music and we would repeat them daily, adding new words when necessary. When it came time for the test, everyone was able to remember the content because it had been so effectively taught and reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the Review and Assessment idea of the SIOP method is very important in the classroom. Students move at different paces. Reviewing concepts and ideas will obviously benefit some students more than others, yet I believe it ultimately benefits everyone to some degree. Students are able to gain a better understanding of previous material or material that was confusing. By asking the students what they need to review, the teacher can better assess their own teaching and strive to improve their teaching strategies.
    In my language class in high school, we learned sets of vocabulary each week. Our teacher would frequently review the words we learned in the past and then ask us any questions regarding definitions, word usage, ect. This was always a good refresher with vocabulary as well as a good strategy to learn words that were previously confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that this an effective in helping students learn better. I do find that it's true for me that if something is complicated at first, going over it again in class at a slower pace really helps me grasp the concepts of the lesson better.

    I remember when I was a junior in high school in French 4, we started learning how to know the difference between the imperfect and the past tense. Although we all knew how to conjugate and use both of them, we didn't know when to use which one. It was really hard for me to understand because English only has one past tense that sounds the same, so I could not just translate the sentences and know which tense to use. On the quiz we had, I basically completely failed.
    But then when I made it to French 5 as a senior, we went over this again, which scared me. But after just learning the lesson again, I began to pick up on it.
    So even though I did miserably the first time, just simply learning it a second time helped me tremendously and now I rarely have a problem figuring out which tense I need to use.

    And this is just one example but I have so many experiences in which going over a lesson more than once really helped me understand the concepts much better. It's like practicing - the more you do something, the better you become at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the 8th step in the SIOP model, Review and Assessment, is hugely needed. If a class never reviewed before an exam imagine the difficulties students would have and confusion of which knowledge is important. Teachers must evaluate to see if the class is on board or not. Also this helps with knowing when a class can move on to the next lesson or task, when everyone understands the current material. It is important to take into consideration that every student will learn at their own pace, this especially depends on the subject matter. I really like how the students can evaluate their own progress as well as the teacher and perhaps the student and teacher together can figure out what exactly their learning style or area of need are. Learning from feedback is definitely important because if teachers did not give any than students would not know what to work on.
    I remember in my German class my teacher would always review vocabulary each week and list off words and we would have to quickly respond. These words would have a variety of difficulty among them. Also my teacher would review past lessons because sometimes our new lessons would be built on to older lessons. Repetition and consistently reviewing is greatly vital in learning a second language because like the old saying goes “if you do not use it, you lose it”. I felt that pretty much if you do not understand something or miss your chance to learn it and the teacher moves on it will be difficult to get up to par. It is like in math, much of the time you are using past knowledge of previous lessons to solve problems in combination with new information. Overall it is very important for a teacher to review and asses because if not then there is a huge chance that not everyone in the classroom is ready to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely agree that review and assessment are important aspects of a good lesson. It is certainly an effective step in the SIOP model if implemented correctly. Review generally covers the most important items from the lesson and reinforces the ideas presented, so they stick in the students' minds better. From my experience, this step has helped me greatly in learning. In high school spanish, I sometimes wouldn't remember how to pronounce something or the meaning of a word or phrase. During the review, my teacher would usually go over it again so I could write it down. Also, hearing things for the second time would increase my likelihood of remembering lessons for tests or until the next class period. I strongly believe that review and assessment are crucial to learning.

    ReplyDelete