Olshtain views writing as "an act of communication" and suggests that "it is an interactive process that takes place between the writer and the reader via text. Olshatain also stresses that the goal of writing is that it is for an audience and you must write in order for you audience to understand you. This chapter in the book focuses on the development of the mechanics of writing as well as early functional writing for ESL/ELL students. Olshtain also suggests many activities within the article where the primary focus is on the mechanical aspect of writing and moves on to purpose for writing and language focus activities. In order to teach reading and writing in ELL/ESL classrooms mechanics must be the first focus. Letter discrimination, word recognition and basic rules of spelling, punctuation and capitalization are all part of teaching students the mechanics of reading and writing. As part of these mechanics teachers must teach students the English consonants and ELL/ESL students tend to have difficulty with this. Teaching students one to one letter sound correspondence works well when teaching consonants unless the sound of the consonant depends on the environment which it is in. Ex: c can have the sound /k/ when followed by an a, o or u as well as l or r. In this case one to one correspondence will not work. In order for students to recognize these consonant changes it is important to stress that students need to really pay attention to every consonant letter and teachers need to provide extra exercises for practice when needed. When teaching vowels, it is important that learners are made aware of the two basic types of environments that are very productive in English orthography. These two environments are CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant) for short vowels and CV(consonant-vowel) and CVCe (vowels that end in an e) for long vowels. In teaching basic sound-spelling correspondence it is important to provide students with rules that support generalizations and can help them become effective readers.
When teaching students the mechanics of reading and writing teachers have three different goals. They are to "enhance letter recognition, to practice sound-letter correspondence via all four language skills and to help the learner move from letters and words to meaningful sentences and larger units of discourse." Olshtain talks about three different recognition tasks that are used in the early stages of reading and writing. They are matching tasks, writing tasks and meaningful sound-spelling correspondence practice. Matching tasks enable learners to develop effective recognition based on distinctive graphic features. Tasks include games, puzzles and other so called "fun" activities. Writing tasks start with basic letter formation and lead to meaningful writing of words and sentences. Sound-spelling correspondence tasks require the learner to focus on the pronunciation as well as the written shape of spelling patterns. Proper capitalization and punctuation is also stressed while writing sentences at this early stage.
Practical Writing Tasks: After getting the basic mechanics out of the way it is important that learners begin to write in order to be able to communicate and communicate effectively. At this stage students learn how to write lists, notes, short messages, simple instructions and other written pieces that are particularly useful in reinforcing classroom work. All of these writings are useful in combining spelling rules with morphological rules in addition to creating a meaningful message. All of these activities should have an appropriate focus on orthographic, mechanical and linguistic accuracy.
Emotive Writing Tasks: These tasks focus more on personal writing. Letters to friends, personal narratives and personal journals and diaries are all examples of emotive writing. Letter writing helps focus on format, spelling and proper punctuation. Personal narratives can help students with their spelling and knowledge of past-tense forms of words and diary/journal entries can help serve as a review of letter writing in general. Emotive writing is generally quite fluent and is usually used with upper ESL/ELL students but it can be done in the earlier stages of language instruction as long as specifications are laid out for students at the beginning of the assignment and the specifications are appropriate to their level of knowledge.
School Oriented Tasks: These include writing assignments, summaries, answers to questions and a variety of essay type passages. Usually the audience for these writings is the teacher however students need to eventually learn to write to an unknown reader whose only way of getting the information is via the text. Dialogue Learning Journals are very popular school oriented tasks in the early stages of ESL learning. They enable students and teachers to interact on a one on one level in any learning context. They also are very useful communicative events at the early stages of learning to write in a new language. Children as well as adults can use Dialogue journals. They usually start off as interactive picture books between student and teacher and move on to pictures with labels and brief descriptions. Gradually the texts become more and more detailed and the communication process is enhanced.
Task: Out of the three tasks mentioned above which do you think is the most important students learn and why? Give examples of what kind of activities you would have students do in each task and provide a brief summary of the specifications for the assignment and what you would expect your students to be able to do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I believe that school-oriented tasks would be the most important for students to learn. First of all, as students they are obviously going to be writing a great deal. Without these skills, they will suffer greatly. Also, once they know these school-oriented tasks it will be easier to learn the other two types.
ReplyDeleteSince I am going into elementary education, I will give example activities for students at that level.
For Practical Writing Tasks, I would ask the students to write instructions on how to make their favorite recipe. I can provide them with example recipes out of cookbooks so they have a format to follow, and they will also be able to share what they enjoy with the class.
For Emotive Writing Tasks, I would have the students keep a journal throughout the course of the class. In this journal I would ask them to write their thoughts on anything they choose. This way, it would give them practice writing about their every day lives and give them something to look back on to see how far they have advanced.
For School Oriented Tasks, I would ask the students to read one of their favorite books and then summarize the book. I would also provide them with an example format for this book report so they could learn how to structure short essays.
I view school-oriented tasks the most useful task for ELLs to learn because those are the particular skills and tasks that will be used with higher frequency after they graduate high school. Aside from school homework, these skills will be valuable to them when they are taking standardized exams, applying to other institutions, scholarship programs, or any other forms and application they may encounter in the future. These skills will benefit them more than practical-writing or emotive-writing because they will need them in order to survive and present themselves in a formal manner and therefore, ELL classes should focus on helping students acquire these skills so that students will be able to succeed in the world in and outside of academics.
ReplyDeleteAccording to each task, I would have students:
Practical writing tasks:
Creating of writing a recipe from one’s favorite cultural food. It could be integrated into a food unit and at the end of the assignment, the class could make a recipe book that contained all of the students’ authentic recipes of their favorite foods.
Emotive writing tasks:
A good activity would be, if possible, to set students up with pen pals from another area so that they would be able to write to another person on a more personal level. In elementary school, one of my friends was assigned a pen pal who lived in Denmark as an exploratory culture unit. The pen pals in Denmark wanted to learn about American culture (and practice their English skills) and the U.S. elementary school wanted to expose their students to other cultures. My friend still keeps in touch with her pen pal and sees him occasionally. With an activity such as this, it helps for students to use their language skills in a communicative and meaningful way, and also helps them to gain practice writing on a personal and informal setting.
School-orientated tasks:
In my current placement, we did an activity where the students needed to write an argumentative essay that did or did not support the enforcement of school uniforms. This assignment was administered prior to the ACTs and my mentor teacher said that he would like to help them gain more experience in writing an argumentative paper that contains one’s opinion.
Another activity that could be administered was for students to write a book report of a book they have read. They would have to write a summary or analysis of a book as well as characters and other important aspects of the book. In doing so, they would be able to increase their analytical skills as well as their academic writing.
I think that school-oriented tasks are the most important for students to learn because this formal, academic style of writing will be used frequently during the students' educational and later professional career, such as when doing exams, essays, resumes, and portfolios. Because of the significant role that this style of writing will have in the lives of the students, this style of writing should be given the highest priority.
ReplyDeleteNow I will describe some activities that I could use to teach each of the three writing styles/tasks.
When we cover Practical Writing Tasks, I would have my students write out grocery lists, and short messages that they might write to friends or family on "Post-it" notes. I would expect my students to focus on spelling, organization, and meaning when writing the lists and messages.
When we cover Emotive Writing Tasks, I would have my students write in daily journals. Some days the topics could be free choice, and on other days they would need to write about their experiences related to something that we covered in class, such as a science or history topic. In doing so, I would expect my students to focus on spelling, format, grammar, and meaning.
When we cover School Oriented Tasks, I would have my students do reports about books that they have read or topics of interest related to what we are studying in class. By doing such an activity, I would expect my students to be able to focus on format, meaning, grammar, and content.
I believe that school oriented tasks would be the most beneficial for the students to learn. Although they will need practical and emotional writing skills as well, these are not as necessary to learn first. Students need these academic tools to make progress throughout the different grades in school. This is necessary for the child as they get older and have to write resumes, turn in portfolios and apply to upper level programs or colleges. For practical writing tasks, I would have my students make basic to-do lists, shopping lists, write out directions or instructions to a near-by place. They will focus on the rules of spelling, what words mean and the creativity in their work. For emotive writing tasks, I would have the students keep a daily journal/diary discussing their day, their thoughts on different aspects of their day and how they felt. I would tell them to focus on making it personal. I would also have them write letters to friends discussing anything they wanted. I would have them focus on punctuation, personal reflections and spelling. For school-oriented tasks, I would have the students focus on narrative essays and summaries to stories. I would have them focus on the communication between the text and the reader/writer. This is an important skill that will help them in future classrooms as well.
ReplyDeleteSchool-oriented tasks seems to be the most important skill that ELL students need to learn. Although learning how to write notes, letters, journals and express feelings is very important, students will be using school-related writing for the majority of their lives. School-oriented tasks such as writing summaries and answers to questions will occur almost every day throughout a child's middle school, high school and college experience. However, I do believe that a student cannot just jump into school-oriented tasks. Starting with practical writing tasks and moving into emotive writing tasks allows kids to practice and perfect their writing skills before moving onto the more serious tasks. *For practical writing tasks I would have my students write a list at the beginning of each day to get started with the class. I would ask them to write down a few words/sentences about what we did yesterday in class, what they hope to learn today in class, and how they are feeling. This would give me a general idea of what the kids are remembering, what they want to learn, and their mood for that day while also practicing their writing skills. *For emotive writing skills I would probably have my students write letters to another classroom in the school (older/younger) and have them develop a pen pal type of activity. *For school-related tasks, I feel like I would have less room for creativity. I might show video clips or read the students stories and have them summarize in a paragraph or two. There are many different ways to approach these three tasks, it just depends on how much time you are willing to put in as a teacher.
ReplyDeleteI feel school-oriented, emotive, and practical writing are all very important for English Language learners to learn. These all go hand in hand, and it is not possible to teach one without the other. As young students begin to learn how to write, they are not writing sentences, or even writing words. These students may draw a picture and then label this picture with a letter, ex: "M" for "mom". Young students may fill out worksheets about stories the read where the teacher is looking for a specific one word answer (practical), but these students will also be asked to use their imagination to tell a story or to retell something that happened over the weekend (emotive writing). As students get older they will begin to learn how to write in paragraphs and learn how to write essays (school-orientated). All of these writing processes build on each other and each one is important for English language learners.
ReplyDeleteActivities:
Practical: Student could practice writing shopping list in their play-store in their classroom. Students could keep running lists of books they've read. Students could sort objects and use a list as a graphic organizer. When learning different sounds, like "ya" for "y" students could walk around the room and sound out different objects that begin with the "ya" sound.
Emotive: Students could have "buddies" at other schools, in other grades, or in other countries! This would allow the students to practice writing letters. If a speaker were to come into class, or if the class went on a field trip the students could practice writing thank you notes. The students could also keep a weekly or daily journal about books they are reading or what they did over the weekend.
School-Orientated: Each student could read a different book and practice writing to an unknown reader. Then classmates can read each other summaries to learn about the book they might want to read.
I think that it would be most important for students to learn the school oriented tasks, because so much of their future depends on their performance in school. If they don't learn these tasks, they will have difficulty conveying their ideas in an acceptable form, and they will not receive credit for their hard work.
ReplyDeletePractical Tasks: I would help the students create a Homework Checklist for my class. This checklist would include the name of the assignment, the due date, the grade received, and a brief description of the assignment. This would be practical in class and help them practice writing.
Emotive Tasks: My students would write weekly letters to their future selves (basically a journal, but it will allow them to see their writing progress.)
School Oriented Tasks: I will assign them a chapter from our class book each week. They must talk about the chapter in their assigned small group, and write a summary of the discussion.
Elena Dunckel
002
When reviewing the three tasks I have trouble deciding which would be the most important to teach. Instead, I feel like it is essential that all three should be taught and that they build off of each other. Ultimately the students should be able to produce acedemic material they will need to excel in school, however this is the final result of teaching all three tasks.
ReplyDeleteThe tasks listed below would be for elementary EL students. All three tasks could be used in a the same extended lesson. Say the students were researching their culture, the following writing tasks could be used:
Practical Task: Students would make a list of what they already know about their culture. This could include food, beliefs, ethnicity, traditions, ect.
Emotive Task: Students would write a letter to a relative asking questions about thier culture.
Academic Task: Students would write a short essay putting together what they knew with what they learned from their relative. They could then present their essays to the class to learn about the different cultures in the classroom.
I think although all three of those are important to learn, School Oriented Writing would probably be most beneficial to them in their academic future. Practical writing, however, would also be very beneficial in life in general, so I think it is a toss up.
ReplyDeleteFor a practical assignment I might have students choose a destination for a dream vacation and then create a list of all of the items they need to pack and a to do list for before they leave. Creating a schedule for themselves could also be useful.
For emotional writing I might have the students keep a journal or a diary with provided prompts. This way I could track their writing over time for improvements or difficulties.
For School Oriented writing I might assign an essay about a particular country or something else that requires research and a format.
I don't think that there is a way to choose which of these is the most important, as they all are esential and all play an important role in the schooling and future of the students. Practical writing skills make it possible for students to write short, meaningful notes, which will ultimately help them to understand and study later in school. Emotive writing skills help the general communication skills of the student, allowing them the oppurtunity to share their thoughts and ideas while at the same time practicing their language use. School oriented writing skills are obviously important as the student will need to be able to write academically for the vast majority of their schooling career and in many professions outside of the classroom.
ReplyDeleteTasks:
Practical: An activity for practical would be to create checklist or summary of their chores at home. This could include cleaning, cooking, shopping, etc. They should also list the materials they need, and instructions on how to go about completing those tasks.
Emotive: The students would write a letter to someone in an orphanage or nursing home. The letter could say anything and ask anything. The idea would be to get feelings and thoughts out on paper in a way that is meaningful to the students.
School Oriented: A good activity for this would be to do a book report. The students would read a book (depending on age and language level, the book would vary indifficulty) and create a book report on it, where they would highlight the plot, the characters, and interesting things that took place.
In my opinion of the three kinds of writing the most important one to learn would be School Oriented. In my own personal experience being able to communicate academically has made my life infinitely easier. If I were trying to teach this style of writing I would start out by teaching the student correct grammar, and trying to teach them a wide variety of vocabulary. I would have them write mini-essays based on readings as well as random topics that we were discussing in class.
ReplyDeleteAs far as Emotive and Practical writing I think that they're important, but for both you won't be graded on how well you can do each one. For Emotive I would have them do the obvious and write letters, hopefully even to a pen-pal and for Practical I would have them practice things such as e-mails or write out grocery lists.
I believe that school oriented tasks are the most important for students to grasp the concept of. Students will be using school-related writing for the majority of their lives, whether it be in school, or later in life, out in the working world. Learning and comprehending school-oriented tasks is the most beneficial to the child’s future as well, because it predicts their performance inside a classroom setting.
ReplyDeleteActivities:
For Practical Writing Tasks, I would probably initiate an activity involving a set of directions or instructions on how to get to a particular location. In this case, I could use direction on how to get to their house, from school. The way they process what words to use in this situation will let me know a lot about their comprehension level. Writing simple shopping lists would be beneficial in this category too. For Emotive Writing Tasks, I would have them all receive a pen pal. I remember when I was in the 3rd grade, we were all issued pen pals from students our age in Mexico. It was so interesting to see the ways that their school was different from the schools in the United States, and moreover, the differences in their basic way of life compared to ours. It made me realize how lucky we really do have it here. Issuing a pen pal doesn’t only better a learner’s writing and reading comprehension, but also gives them a way to analyze other cultures other than our own. Lastly, for school-oriented tasks, I would most likely read a story, and have them summarize it in their own words. After this, I would have them communicate with each other, and share their summaries (in turn, maybe learning a thing or two from the other person’s writing.) This activity allows them to play with the concepts of content, grammar, and meaning of the text.
It's hard for me to say whether I think that practical writing tasks or school-oriented tasks are more important because I think that the "practical" communication skills are the most important skill for any language student to learn. In my opinion, to achive good communication skills is the whole reason for learning a language.
ReplyDeletePractical Writing Tasks:
I would assign various communicative activities like having students write dish recipes. For the recipe writing, they would need to come up with a set of directions to make any food they want to make; it doesn't even need to be a real dish. I'd expect them to be able to use the appropriate vocabulary words for giving measurements and quantities, and also be able to give directions about how to deal with the ingredients.
Emotive Writing Tasks:
I would assign an activity that involves writing a long letter or a series of a few letters to a friend about something troubling in their life. This would require them to show some sort of emotions or feelings in their writing and to be able to communicate these feelings to other people.
School-Oriented Tasks:
I would assign essays with proper structure for an activity of this nature. They would be expected to be able to format their writing properly, write sentences that flow together to create an argument, clearly state their thesis and have supporting paragraphs to back it up, and introductions and conclusions to flow into and out of their thoughts.
I feel that these writing tasks are equally important. I feel that practical tasks build knowledge for real life situtations such as list writing. Emotional writing is important as well for students. School writing is also important for writing that is not always practical, yet necessary for learning. I think it is very important to equally incorporate these writing tasks in the classroom.
ReplyDeletePractical Writing: I would have students do an assignment giving out directions in steps. This would incorporate list writing and incorporate important language skills such as first, next, last, etc.
Emotional Writing: I would have student write an autobiography. This would incorporate extensive writing.
School Writing: I would assign reading comprehension/check for understanding tasks for the students. This would involve reading stories and answering questions that determines whether or not students are understanding the lessons.